I’m a big fan of soup for chilly winter lunches and this Broccoli Soup recipe is super quick and easy to make. And because it uses broccoli stalks that would otherwise be thrown away it is also very cheap and will help you reduce food waste into the bargain!
You can make this soup using all fresh broccoli or you can do what I do and save your broccoli stalks in the freezer and use those. When ever we have broccoli (which is quite a lot as both my boys will eat it!) I keep the thick part of the stalk. I cut off the end and the outer skin near the bottom which can be quite tough. Then I chop it into large pieces and add it to a bag in the freezer. When I’ve collected 3 or 4 I have enough to make this tasty broccoli soup!
Ingredients for Broccoli Soup
- 1 onion
- 1 tblsp sunflower or light olive oil
- 1 white potato
- Broccoli – either 3-4 stalks with one full head or 2-3 heads
- Vegetable stock cube or Bouillon powder (Click here for the one I use – affiliate link)
- Black pepper to taste
1. Chop the onion
2. Heat the oil in a large pan for a minute, add the onion and saute with the lid on for a few minutes until soft
3. Peel and cube the potato. It should be in fairly small pieces to cook in the same time as the broccoli.
4. Chop the fresh broccoli.
5. Add the fresh and frozen broccoli to the pan along with the potato.
6. Cover the ingredients in the pan with boiling water, along with a vegetable stock cube or a heaped tablespoon of bouillon powder.
7. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer for around 20 minutes or until the broccoli and potatoes are soft.
8. Blend the soup until it is the desired consistency. You can add more water at this stage if your soup is too thick. I use a stick blender but you could put the soup in a liquidiser if you prefer.
9. Add black pepper to taste and serve.
I like to serve this broccoli soup with a swirl of cream. It’s also super tasty with a few cubes of white cheese like Lancashire or Wensleydale crumbled into it.
If you try this soup I’d love to hear about it. Or let me know your other favourite soup recipes – do you know any others that use leftovers?
A quick and easy Broccoli Soup recipe – save money and reduce waste by using leftover broccoli stalks.
- 1 tbsp oil sunflower or light olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 white potato
- 3-4 broccoli stalks
- 1 fresh broccoli
- vegetable stock
- black pepper
Chop the onion
Add oil to pan then add onion and saute for 1 minute
Peel and cube the potato
Chop the fresh broccoli
Add potato and broccoli to the onion in the pan
Cover with boiling water and vegetable stock cube or bouillon powder
Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until vegetables are soft
Blend with a stick blender or in a liquidiser
Add black pepper to taste and serve
You can find the rest of my recipes here.